Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How I got two-sided printing and scanning working on my brother MFC7860DW over wireless


the packages came from:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

make sure the pre-reqs are installed:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo aptitude install lib32stdc++ 
[I got an error with the stdc++ install with apt-get but it worked fine with aptitude ('Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages')]

Download the debs from the brother  printer drivers page . For me, would not install through the software center (and according to the instructions you're meant to run it from the terminal), so I ran
sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all 'mfc7860dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb'
sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all 'cupswrapperMFC7860DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb'

For network setup (for usb see this page)
go to:
http://localhost:631/printers 
in your browser
click MFC-7860DW and then from the dropdown menu under administration - "Modify Printer" and set following parameters*

select:
Device: "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" or "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" (I selected "LPD/LPR Host or Printer")
then:
URI: lpd://(Your printer's IP address)/binary_p1
note that your printer's IP address needs to be fixed in some way so that you can continue printing to it. I can fix IP addresses with my router so that's how I did it.

My device wasn't listed under drivers, and there's no available ppd so I just selected 7840DW Foomatic - note: when I selected the brother driver, I actually couldn't print two-sided, which is bizarre.

It added a device on localhost to my printers list at some point, but this one didn't work.

Still no booklet option, but it does now print two-sided.

SCANNING
First of all:
sudo apt-get install sane-utils xsane
Downloaded the debs from here. They installed with the software center, though you do have to click 'Ignore and install'.
scan-key-tool 64bit (or 32bit obviously if you're running 32 bit)
brscan4 64bit 

then in the terminal
brsaneconfig4 -a name=MFC-7860DW model=MFC-7860DW ip=192.168.1.108
with the IP address you are using substituted at the end.

and then it worked fine for me with the default scanning application!

------
hat-tip to: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1854483.html


*if you get a password prompt, and you haven't set a password, then from the terminal:
sudo lppasswd -a
then you'll get a prompt asking you for a password. Your username is your current ubuntu username.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    Thanks for sharing awesome blog and unique content.. i like it.. really good work.. keep it up..

    Visit:- Visit my site Brother Printer Technical Support

    Thanks
    Eva Smith

    ReplyDelete