Tuesday, July 6, 2010

share-mime-info segfaulting?

So today I started getting errors from share-mime-info any time I tried to run apt-get, kpackagekit, dpkg etc. Not sure if it had to do with a recent update or when I tried to install google-gadgets yesterday. Either way, it boiled down to share-mime-info throwing segmentation faults and other various things. I tried a multitude of fixes - deleting various files, but none of that worked. I attempted to reinstall over my distro from the live disc, but that didn't work. In the end I went down the long hard road of attempting to reinstall share-mime-info, and in short - don't. I purged it only to have it uninstall pretty much everything with put me in dependency hell. Eventually I booted into my live disc and:

sudo mkdir /mnt/repair
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/repair (sda1 being my main partition)
sudo chroot /mnt/repair su
sudo rm /mnt/repair/usr
I then installed 10.04 from the live disc and then (just to be safe!):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get upgrade

I then logged back into kubuntu as per usual, and voila, fixed. Now I just have to reinstall everything, though if you're reading this, then you could probably just delete the usr folders relating to share-mime-info and maybe gtk (since apparently it may be related to conflicting gtk versions)...

No comments:

Post a Comment